Job vacancy at GMCDP
Greater Manchester Coalition of Disabled People (GMCDP) is a user-led Disabled People’s Organisation that is 100% run and controlled by disabled people. We campaign for the right to have choice and control over our lives and promote and support the independence and inclusion of disabled people.
We have a vacancy for a project worker on our Manchester Disabled Peoples Project.
Hours: 21 per week
Salary: £22,600 per annum pro rata
The project has 3 years funding from the Our Manchester Voluntary and Community Sector Grants Programme and runs from April 2018 to March 2021.
We are looking for someone who has knowledge of the social model of disability and the barriers that disabled people face and is passionate about promoting inclusion for disabled people. The post holder will have experience of:
- working with people in empowering and inclusive ways,
- using a range of methods to engage people through outreach and networking, and
- Running events and developing resources in innovative and creative ways.
The project worker will have the opportunity to:
- Run regular themed workshops and discussion groups exploring a wide range of issues such as independent living, education, training, employment and leisure activities, where to find information about benefits, developing self advocacy skills, challenging Hate Crime, how to access other services in Manchester… and much more.
- Develop an outreach programme to build links with other community groups across Manchester.
- Raise awareness amongst service providers about how to be more inclusive and accessible to disabled people and offer practical advice and support where appropriate.
- Develop a range of accessible information resources.
- Support disabled people to gain new skills and opportunities through volunteering with the project.
This post is only open to disabled people and subject to the relevant Disclosure and Barring Service check.
For an application pack contact:
Windrush Millennium Centre
70 Alexandra Road
Tel: 0161 636 7534 (voice or via type-talk)
E-mail info [at] gmcdp.com
Text (mobile phone): 07508 537561
CV’s will not be considered
Closing Date: Friday 8th June at 4pm
Download the application form/job description/person specification below